Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy belated Thanksgiving!  Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.  I appreciate a day that is centered around family, friends and food.  What's not to love?  This year, we hosted Thanksgiving in our new house and were joined by family and friends. 

Luckily, I had planned to take the week off from work and had ample time to prepare for the day.  I did most of the cooking on Wednesday so that I could participate in the Turkey Trot, a 5-mile walk (or run) around downtown Austin.  I joined Kelsey, Devon, Nicole and Melissa and it was great to catch up with everyone while squeezing in some exercise before the big meal. 

Melissa, Kelsey and me before the Turkey Trot




I've learned that preparing for Thanksgiving takes days, but sadly, the meal ends in 30 minutes or less.  It's always a sad moment when it's over and I am always tempted to become a potato pusher and force people to eat more than they do.  Cooking takes a lot of time and I believe eating should take a while as well. 

We spent the remainder of the afternoon and evening enjoying our time together and Ami, Kristin, Mrs. Gladys and I attempted to go to Target when it opened at 9 pm.  TVs or toys weren't enough to make me stand in that line.  I don't need a $4 DVD that bad. 

However, I had plans to head out for a larger shopping trip with Devon, Kelsey and Melissa.  We've made Black Friday shopping a tradition and headed to Macy's at midnight to see what we could find.  Similar to Target, I decided that both my patience and my sleep were more important than bargains and succumbed to my need for sleep.

While I was out, a little magic was happening at our house.  Matt was getting a lesson on how to smoke a brisket from his brother, Mitch. Turns out, brisket smoking is an a 12+ hour event and they were up every few hours to check the temperature and things. 

I met Mrs. Gladys for more shopping and spent the remainder of the day with Anne and Matt. Overall, it was a lovely day and this year, I have more to be thankful for than ever before.







No comments:

Post a Comment