Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Traveling

Since I started working at the Lance Armstrong Foundation, I've had some pretty incredible opportunities to travel to places I probably would have never been otherwise.  My travels have taken me to Spain, Turkey, Guam, Hawaii and many other glamorous and not so glamorous places.  I'm lucky to work at such a great place for many reasons, not just related to travel.

However, time on the road/plane can wear a girl down and I have come to enjoy my time in Austin more and more.  After returning to work, I've been able to cut back on travel some, but there are times when I have to hit the road.  This week, I'm in DC for a couple of days attending the CDC Cancer Conference.  I am usually in DC a few times a year and hardly ever make the time to visit a museum; however, this trip I made a point to visit the American History Museum.  My main reason for making a visit this time was to help celebrate Julia Child's 100th birthday and while I'm no master of french cooking, I do appreciate good food. 

The featured exhibits ranged from Julia Child's kitchen to the history of the Star Spangled Banner.  I love stuff like this and enjoyed seeing pieces from different eras of our country's history.  However, it should be no surprise that my favorite part was the First Lady exhibit.  It featured inaugural gowns from many of the First Ladies, including Jacqueline Kennedy, Hillary Clinton and Michelle Obama's dress that was made by Jason Wu.  Each was beautifully made. 






After seeing everything, we checked out the gift shop where I bought a little something for my little person.  I remember playing with paper dolls as a child and have to admit that if Anne doesn't enjoy these, I'm pretty certain that my Aunt Anne and I will. 


No comments:

Post a Comment