Friday, January 25, 2013

Catching My Breath

It's official the restfulness of the holiday break is long gone and the real world has picked up where it left off and then some. 

Last week was a pretty emotional week.  It's no surprise that all of the information regarding Lance in the media definitely took a toll on me and my friends/co-workers.  During a team meeting early last week, someone pointed out that no one other than those I work with know what we have gone through over the past few months.  I felt like I was on a emotional roller coaster and I'm ready to move forward.  I'm fortunate that I work with great friends and these girls mean the world to me even though I am still on the fence. 

Matt was out of town last week and my friends were planning to come over on Thursday night to watch the interview.  We felt that it was something that we needed to get through together.  However, life had different plans for me.

I left Thursday morning and Murphy was not feeling well.  When I got home that evening, Mrs. Gladys mentioned that Murphy was extremely lethargic and  had been sick most of the day.  After seeing how sick he looked, I realized that something was very wrong and he need to go to the veterinarian.  After waiting an hour to see the doctor, we were called back and Murphy was examined.  Normally, he weighs around 15-16 pounds.  When they put him on the scale, he was 12 pounds.  The doctor said he was severely dehydrated and regardless of what was wrong with him, he would need to be hospitalized to treat the dehydration.  They wanted to do some tests and take x-rays to see if he had swallowed something.  After looking at the x-ray, it was clear there was a foreign object blocking his intestines.  They put him on an IV while talking with me because the doctor was more concerned about hydration to "save his life."  At that point, I was a complete mess.  I had no idea how he had become so sick in less than 24 hours or what he could have swallowed.

Since our regular doctor doesn't provide overnight care, Murphy and I left for the emergency clinic for treatment.     Once there, the doctor talked with me and said he would most likely need surgery and he wanted to give him a few hours on an IV before redoing his x-rays to see if the object had moved to the colon.  If it made it to the colon, he wouldn't require surgery.  At this point, Matt had made it into Austin and joined me at the clinic.  We signed the paperwork and decided it would be best for Murphy and us if we didn't go back and see him before leaving.  I knew that it would make him upset when we walked away and would only cause me further anxiety. 

We got home around 9:30.  I need to take a moment and say that Anne has the most incredible grandmother.  Mrs. Gladys is so great to us and when I rushed off to take Murphy to the vet, she gladly offered to take care of our sweet girl. 

Around 1:00 AM on Friday, the vet called and said the object had progressed to the colon and thankfully, Murphy wouldn't need surgery.  We went to pick him up at 6:00 AM and had to stay home with him that day to watch him.  When we picked him up, he was clearly feeling much better.  He was wagging his tail, his coat was much shinier and he no longer had sad eyes.  The doctor chose to leave his IV catheter in just in case he needed additional fluids. 

Late that afternoon, he was back to normal and we finally found out what the mystery object was....a pacifier. 

We're relieved to have our little guy back to normal and now watching every move he makes and every pacifier Anne uses.


No comments:

Post a Comment