Monday, March 4, 2013

1 Year Check-Up

Today, I took Anne in for her one-year well check.  I was pretty excited to see how much she had grown over the past three months and it shouldn't surprise anyone that I had a list of questions.  Specifically, I wanted the doctor's thoughts about:

  • Coconut milk - After years of hearing things about dairy and how I tend to avoid it, well, try to avoid it, I've been giving Anne coconut milk.  I read an article when Anne was a newborn that outlined dairy alternatives and coconut and almond milk had the same nutritional value.  I wanted to confirm this with the doctor.  He didn't have any concerns about the use of coconut milk other than it being a bit more expensive.  I was glad to hear that because she loves it.  
  • Bottle weening - We have successfully weaned Anne off all bottles except the nighttime bottle.  This baby loves a bottle; however, the doctor wasn't concerned about it and encouraged me to take my time. 
I even got some unsolicited advice.  He recommended that I wean Anne off the pacifier by 18 months.  I laughed and told him no.  That is not even remotely on my mind.  I do have a goal of having her off of it by her second birthday, but right now, she loves it.  She sometimes takes a bath with it and I just don't have the desire to do it now.  Maybe I'll feel differently in a few months, but as of now, no, no and no.

Here are her measurements for 12 months:

Height 29 3/8" (50-75th percentile)
Weight 22 lbs (75-90th percentile)
Head Circumference 47.3 cm (95-98th percentile)

She's right on track and over the past three months, she managed to make up for gaining weight slowly. 

Here's a picture from our sweet girl while we waited to see the doctor


1 comment:

  1. She is precious!! Take you time with the bottle and pacy!! Wiley was 18 months when he had his last bottle and gave his pacy up on the day he turned 4. It was a piece of cake that day, I expected worse, but he was old enough to understand!! Alice still gets a ba-ba in the morning and one at night, HA-she turns 3 Friday. AND--she still has her pacy!! Their are many other things to worry about than those two, its not like they will go to Kindergarten with either!!! HAHA!! They are only babies/toddlers once, right?! I love your attitude about that, much like mine!!

    ReplyDelete